Hey Golfers – It’s Cool to Think Golf in the Winter
It’s never too early to start planning summer golf, even as the snow flies, and we’re talking golf in the Gaylord Golf Mecca, which for 33 years has been America’s Summer Golf Mecca.
So, let’s discuss the essentials of a golf trip for any and all groups and how the Gaylord Golf Mecca can provide those essentials. The five things those trips must include are:
- Great golf: 20 courses beckon in the Mecca, and many were designed by the top architects in the world. Robert Trent Jones Sr. did the Masterpiece at Treetops and Tom Fazio did the Premier there, too. Rick Smith created the Signature and Tradition courses, and the best par 3 anywhere, Threetops. Rees Jones, son of Robert, did Black Lake. Jerry Matthews, Michigan’s prolific designer, did The Natural and The Lakes at The Loon Resort. PGA player Gary Koch designed The Tribute at Otsego Resort. Original work at Indian River was done by legend Wilfrid Reid. One of the game’s big names in teaching, Butch Harmon, is responsible for redesign work at The Loon. The wonderful work of Don Childs is on display at Michaywe’ – The Pines and Gaylord Golf Club. Matthews and another award-winning Michigan designer Bill Newcomb each did nine of the holes at Lakes of the North. And former owner Ron Otto designed the courses at Garland Resort.
- Comfortable lodging: 20 lodging partners, and that includes lodging very close to the golf courses you will play at Black Lake Golf Club, The Loon Golf Resort, The Natural at Beaver Creek, Otsego Resort, Treetops Resort and Garland Resort. Of course, lodging options at great area hotel properties are a very short trip from Gaylord Golf Club, Indian River Golf Club, Lakes of the North and Michaywe’ – The Pines, too.
- Multiple food options: All of the Mecca courses have mega food options, and most have options right on property. Then you have the ever-expanding restaurant market in Gaylord. I suggest you pick up Northern Michigan Golfer Magazine, the official publication of The Gaylord Golf Mecca (find out how at gaylordgolfmecca.com), which has a wonderful lists of the dining options around town.
- Service: The Gaylord Golf Mecca has been around for so long because the excellent service at our golf and lodging properties keeps bringing people back. Groups return year after year because of the great golf, lodging and dining, but also because they make friends in our pro shops and even on the limo bus The Loon uses to help visitors get around.
- And did we mention the golf: Collectively 351 golf holes that go through forests, around lakes, over rivers and marshes, rolling hills and glacial moraine. You’ve got to love glacial moraine, especially beautiful glacial moraine. (A moraine is any glacially formed accumulation of unconsolidated glacial debris ‘soil and rock’ that occurs in currently glaciated and formerly glaciated regions on Earth through geomorphological processes.) See you learn stuff from the Mecca, too.
Visit gaylordgolfmecca.com or call 800-345-8621. It’s not too early.